Do you worry about your WEIGHT?
Are you afraid you may get DIABETES?
Do you wish you had more ENERGY?
The Diabetes Prevention Program offers a scientifically proven and effective lifestyle change program that can help you prevent or delay type 2 diabetes. This program is not a fad diet or an exercise class. And it’s not a quick fix. It’s a year-long program focused on long-term changes and lasting results.
The Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP) is a national lifestyle change program that will teach you how to prevent type 2 diabetes. People with prediabetes can reduce their chances of getting type 2 diabetes – by a lot. The DPP focuses on having you lose 5 to 7 percent of your body weight.
- The program can show you how to make better food choices, be more physically active, and find helpful ways to cope with problems and stress.
- You’ll work with a trained lifestyle coach and a small group of people who are all working toward the same goal.
- It will last for 1 year (including meetings about once per week in the first 16 weeks).
- There are hundreds of local community partners supporting the need to beat prediabetes. They are required by CDC to meet high standards and prove results.
- This program is motivating! The DPP is here in Florida to support people with prediabetes to make practical, real-life changes, and cut the risk of developing type 2 diabetes by more than half. That’s kind of big news!
Proven Prediabetes Program Helps You Lose Weight
Group classes focus on making small changes such as improving food choices, increasing physical activity, and managing stress — all designed to help you lose weight.
According to the American Psychological Association, a group approach makes it easier to stick with a lifestyle change plan.
- Learn the skills to improve food choices, be more physically active, manage stress, and lose weight;
- Receive support from a trained Lifestyle Coach;
- Connect with others who share your goals;
Even though a year is a major commitment, the program benefits have been proven to last. Even after ten years, those who participated in this program had a 34% lower rate of type 2 diabetes, and 40% maintained their weight loss associated with the risk reduction.
Experience how small, positive changes may mean a healthier and happier life for you and your loved ones.
Find many health care services in Florida near you at my211florida.org.
Resources for People with Prediabetes
Simple screening tool to determine risk for prediabetes and eligibility for DPP participation.
Chart to help participants track progress and offer feedback to health professionals.